Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Summer

Hello Housemates,

 I hope that all of you are doing wonderfully. Well, I got to start my summer plans in April because I finished therapy in March! (which was fantastic.) From April-May, I took a c.n.a class at Wake Tech. I signed up for this class for two reasons. 1) I want to be a PA one day, (and I need patient-contact hours in order to do that) and 2) It is a great way to ease back into school.

 The class went really well and I met a lot of interesting people. I was actually one of the youngest in the class. Going in, I knew that it would be a challenge. When I started, my energy level was still low. I had trouble concentrating during lectures. But, I made it through and even survived the lab portion (we had to learn 69 skills!!!) Our instructor was quite a character as well. He was a military nurse and ran the course like we were in the Marine Corps! Some days, I literally felt like it was survival of the fittest!! We started off with 21 students. By the end of the course, there were only ten left! 

 Anyway, I’ve been spending a lot of my time studying for the state exam! I take it on June 11th. Thankfully, I’ll still be able to use the labs before the state test (to practice the skills). Also, I’m feeling pretty good because at my last UNC appointment, I asked about NA positions on the rehab floor. My doctor said she would contact the nurse manager. I may get to work there next summer….*fingers crossed*

 I’ve also been cashiering at Food Lion: D. I worked there last summer, so I know most of the employees. The store isn’t overwhelming at all and has a friendly atmosphere. My original plan (before my accident) was to study abroad in Sevilla, Spain. Seeing my friends post pictures of Spain on facebook kind of bums me out, but I know I’ll definitely get to go abroad some other time.

 I’ve been spending time catching up with friends around town as well. One of my best friends is a swim coach for our old swim team, so I definitely plan on watching some of the meets! There’s also quite a big group of Wesleyans that live in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, so it’s been nice to see them too!!

 Next up: I’m doing summer session 2 at UNC! I’m very excited about spending M-F on the hill. Also, Caroline will be returning from Sweden pretty soon and should be back on the hill around July! I’m really excited to see her again. J

 Lastly, tomorrow is a big and exciting day!!! I will have an updated MRI of my brain. After that, I will talk to my PA and neurosurgeon about my progress. My surgeon will also show me the scans of my new brain. I am very excited to compare the before and after images. J

 BWhousemateL,

Courtney

3 comments:

definingpurpose said...

Courtney! I am so proud of all that you are doing! I have also taken the CNA class and clinical portion while I was in high school, but couldn't take the state exam because I wasn't 18 years old yet! I am really excited for you :) I know you will do great and I can't wait to see you around hopefully Second Summer Session as I will be here also!

KarenK said...

Courtney! I'm so excited that you will be here for the second session:) we should definitely hang out:) Great post btw!

Courtney said...

I would love to see the two of you!