Wednesday, June 13, 2012

summer, summer, summer

Hey WesHos!
     My summer has been off to a pretty good start. The first weekend of the month was the third annual Apex Latino Arts Festival. Friday night was the Culinary Fest, and volunteers from various Latin American countries cook traditional foods. I invited Brett since he's a Spanish minor and interested in Hispanic cultures. Because of rain that afternoon, they had to hold the festival inside, so it was kind of crowded, but it was still really well done. I love being able to try food from all over Latin America, especially El Salvador! And it's only $2.
     I've been playing softball with my church team, and it's been pretty fun despite us losing every single game. We played the number one team twice last Wednesday (due to a make-up game), and we only lost by a couple of runs, though; we were even ahead of them at one point in the game. Unfortunately, we had to forfeit our first tournament game tonight because we didn't have enough women, and I won't be able to play on Monday because I'll be going on ASP with my church. Still, I had a great time playing the games I went to and getting to know some of the team members I hadn't met at church before.
     Speaking of ASP, my church will be in Avery County, North Carolina next week. I'm pretty excited because, although I've only been on ASP twice, I really love it, and I'm so glad I have the opportunity to go again (this time as a chaperone!) I even convinced my mom to go as a chaperone as well :) This is also ASP's first year in North Carolina, and I think it's really neat that we get to serve in our home state.
     In other news, I've been trying to get a young adult ministry started at my home church for a while now, and I'll be starting a young adults Sunday School class on June 24th! I"m happy it's finally happening, and I hope at least a few people come. We'll be watching and discussing the NOOMA videos. This past Sunday was my pastor's last day at my church. It was sad saying goodbye, but he had been with us for five years. Originally, he was going to be with Tyler in Rocky Mount, but it looks like he's going to be at Zebulon UMC instead; I think so that he can be closer to his wife and kids because they're staying in the area so their daughters can finish up high school here.
     Other than that, my summer has been pretty chill. I don't mind going with the flow, although sometimes I get an itch for an adventure because, honestly, Apex can be kind of boring, haha. Anyway, I hope your summers are all going well, and I can't wait to hear from you all!
BWL!

No comments: